Saturday, November 8, 2008

I lost the battle

Tonight it was my pleasure to serve the two little sugar pies some dinner. My mother-in-law, Rhonda, brought over some delightful banana squash which I spent all afternoon boiling and preparing to freeze. I must say the squash was the peak of my menu today. I ate two whole cups with salt and pepper and I was stuffed. Which is a feeling that I haven't had in a while. To continue with my story, Ava and Emma have had some of Grandma Rhonda's squash before. They eat the baby food squash all the time, so I hoped they would eat it yet again.
It was not to be, for as I presented the yellow mushed up squash I was declined. At first politely, with a simple closed mouth and shaking of the head. But then the refusal became more fierce, including attempting to take away the eating utensil, yelling, pounding of fists, throwing of sippy cups, smashing undesired food in hair and in all high chair crevices, and lastly spitting everything down the front of the onsies. So it was off to the tub for another warm soak to remove all leftovers from dinner.
Emma has squash and pudding all over.

Ava loves to play in her food.
"Uh, mom, I was thinking, maybe you should just feed me cookies." -Emma


"I am showing you my muscle woman pose to intimidate you!" -Ava

Ava has squash and pudding in her hair, she slaps her forehead occasionally as if she is saying, "Duh!"

She is less amused as dinner goes on.
Emma is trying to come up with a way to get out of eating her squash. Ponder, ponder.

"I've made a mess, now all I need is Aunt Emily to clean my high chair!" -Emma
"Yup, that sounds like a great idea, Emma, lets keep making huge messes until Aunt Emily gets here to clean up after us!"

To Aunt Emily: We are excitedly awaiting your arrival, please do not judged us, we already know cleanliness is Godliness.

5 comments:

Kaydee said...

They are so cute... messy... but adorable. Kynzee is getting to be a picky eater as well... cookies are her food of choice too! I can't believe how much they have grown- we need to have another visit!

Heidi Bitsch said...

They are too cute Nan! Love the pictures!

emilyf said...

oh you think you are soooo funny!!! haha love you guys!! i am way excited to see you..even if you are messy!!

The Foster's said...

Go Nat! I'm exhausted just looking at how much you feed, clean up and then do it again. Too funny!

The Nate and Sara Project said...

Hey Natalie, this is Nate Fuller (pretty much your best friend from high school) and I just found your blog thingamajig. My wife loves this blogging deal so I check it out every once and awhile. So you've got some cute kids. We haven't joined that club yet. Also, how on earth do you know Keith Nebeker? We were sort of companions during the good old mission days and I haven't heard about him til just now. Anywho, I hope all is well for you and the fam.

Nate